Image Map

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

2011: Year In A Nutshell {Part One}

I borrowed this idea from a blogger friend of mine and thought it was a great way to sum up 2011. This year is definitely one I will never forget and it's fun to look back on everything that occurred - prior to pregnancy, once I was preggo and after Cruz joined our family. Enjoy!

1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?

Had a baby...its by far the most important thing I've ever done in my life!

2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I'm terrible at keeping New Year's resolutions. I'm sure my resolutions last year were to eat better and exercise more...and to the contrary I was bigger than I've ever been in 2011 (however, that was attributed to growing a little bun in my oven, so I guess that's ok!)

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Well, I did and others include my friend Heidi, Heather, and quite a few co-workers - it seemed that everyone in the marketing department was preggo this year {which made for some pretty fun convos at work}!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully, but too many little ones that we've met through Angels Among Us passed away this year, which breaks my heart.

5. What countries did you visit?


None - 2011 was a very slow travel year both for work and play. Nick & I have already been talking about getaways in 2012, so I can't wait to see where the new year takes us.

6. What dates from 2011 will be etched upon your memory, and why?
  • March 20th - day we found out I was pregnant
  • May 20th - my 30th birthday...oh my a new decade!
  • June 27th - we're having a BOY! The day we found out the sex {Nick was SO excited}
  • November 13th - the day Cruz came into our lives
7. What was your biggest achievement of this year?

Besides giving birth {which is by far #1} it would have to be getting promoted to Vice President of Marketing. I've worked really hard over the past {almost} 8 years and I'm excited for this new challenge. I oversee all of the marketing functions - VIP marketing, events/promotions, advertising, entertainment and public relations. Since this happened right before maternity leave, I had a lot of catching up to do while I was out and now that I'm getting back to work.

8. What's your biggest failure?
Hmmm...this is a tough one. I have to say that I wish I stayed in touch with friends better. It was a very busy year and that made it difficult, but I know I can do better. Fortunately, my friends are all amazing and when we finally do touch base, we take up right where we left off.\

9. Did you suffer illness or injury?
No, except I had some terrible morning sickness and for the period of about three months puked up everything I ate.  Fortunately that didn't last for my entire pregnancy, but I can say I've puked in some of the most interesting places...after a while you really just don't care!

10. What was the best thing you bought?
A new car - in October we bought a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I've never had a brand new car and this one only had 31 miles on it so it was definitely new. I really love it.

11. Whose behavior merited celebration?
On a personal side, my husband's behavior has been celebrated. I am amazed at how wonderful he is with our son and how he has become a more fuller person since Cruz was born. My favorite thing is watching them interact with each other. Nick has become a truly amazing father and I'm very lucky to have him in my life.

Overall, I would say the soldiers fighting oversees and their families who patiently wait for them to come home.  The kids we work with at Angels Among Us - they are fighters and so inspiring!  People who are constantly doing things for others - as weird as it sounds, when I watch shows like "Extreme Makeover - Home Addition" and see people who are so obsessed with helping others that their lives are left on the back burner, it really makes me feel good and want to do more.

12. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The behavior of the Penn State staff - mostly Sandusky, but also the others who helped cover up his actions. Bullying - there are so many cases of this and it breaks my heart. These cases need to be dealt with quickly and harshly.

13. Where did most of your money go?
New car, payed off some credit cards earlier in the year, nursery and all things baby. Unfortunately more of our money didn't go to travel, but I wish it had.

14. What song(s) will always remind you of 2011?
  • Anything Kenny Chesney - and our crew hitting up his concerts. Especially "Somewhere With You" from his new CD. This year's concert was a week after I found out I was preggo, so it was fun and somewhat tough to hide the fact that I wasn't drinking from the group since we couldn't tell them anything yet.
  • Hot Chelle Rae "Tonight" - reminds me of spending time with Tess & her kiddos while they belt it out
  • Jason Aldean "Dirt Road Anthem" - our Okoboji trip theme song

15. Compared to this time last year, are you: 
a) Happier or Sadder? definitely happier
b) Thinner or Fatter? unfortunately fatter {though I'm working on it}
c) Richer or Poorer? happily richer

16. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Travel - Nick & I used to travel so much more than we did this year and I want to get back to where we left off. I'm especially excited to start including Cruz on some of our getaways and showing him the world...or at least in the near future, the U.S.

17. What do you wish you'd done less of?

Worry - it's a crazy thing how growing another life makes you worry about every little thing possible. Unfortunately, it doesn't change once your babies enter the world.

18. How did you spend Christmas?

Our normal Christmas tour took place this year...on the 23rd we were in Laurel at Nick's mom's house, my parent's house in Emerson on the 24th and back in Omaha at Nick's dad's house on the 25th. This was a very special Christmas, though, being Cruz's first.

19. Did you fall in love with 2011?
Absolutely - I told myself I wasn't one of those women who just loved being pregnant (and early on I wasn't), but as the time went on I LOVED being pregnant. It's a truly amazing process what your body goes through and carrying a little life inside you. I loved the kicks and movement. It was an awesome experience.

20. What was your favorite TV program?

I can't limit it to just one! I love Sons of Anarchy {why did it take us so long to start watching this show?}, Modern Family, 90210 {yes, really}, HGTV {most programs}, Teen Mom & Jersey Shore {guilty pleasures}, Grey's Anatomy {got started on this one late, but love it}, Bachelor {ugh} and Keeping Up With the Kardashians (love them).  Can you tell I had no life during my preggo days?

21. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

Hate is a very strong word - but I truly dislike blatantly mean people. And I am so scared about Cruz encountering mean people as he gets older and I'm not sure how I will handle it.

22. What was the best book you read?


I {finally} read the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and it was amazing! Thank you, Tessa, for forcefully {with your words} pushing me to start and finish this book. I also finished the next two in this series....maternity leave was great in that it gave me time to read.

23. What was your greatest musical discovery?


I rediscovered Bush this year. I fell in love with Gavin Rossdale and his band back in high school and I rekindled our romance this summer when Bush came to the Stir Concert Cove at Harrah's. The best part - Tessa and I got to meet him...and he was ah-maz-ing.

24. What did you want and get?
Cruz!! We decided I would get off birth control in January, conceived in February and welcomed him in November.
25. What was your favorite film of 2011?

Bridesmaids...by far. I thought it was hilarious and I love that it was a chick flick but rivaled man comedies like Wedding Crashers, Hangover, etc. I'm still quoting this flick.

26. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 30 this year {sigh...} but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I was preggo so there were no cocktails to close out my 20s, but it was still a great birthday and I was able to celebrate with my favorites.
27. How would you describe your personal fashion concept of 2011?
Comfortable...being pregnant for most of the year required that I go for loose, flowy and cozy clothes.

28. What kept you sane?


My family and friends....always my sounding board. The best part is that each of them are great in different ways.

29. What political issue stirred you the most?
Politics...not my thing unfortunately.
30. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
Don't try to rush life...enjoy every moment and soak it up...it goes by too quickly not to.

31. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.


Kenny Chesney - "The Woman With You" {makes me think about our fast paced life}

"Back then, you know, I had this plan.
Before all of this reality set in.
Here come life, boy, ready or not
Hey, I wanted it all and that's what I got.

Been jugglin', strugglin', closin' big deals
Dancin' backwards in high heels.
Just when it feels like I can't make it through
She says, "it sure is nice to just be the woman with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile! Thanks for taking the time to share some love =)