Image Map

Saturday, August 25, 2012

No Turning Back...

It's official...there's no turning back now. I just signed up for the Omaha half marathon.

I've been wrestling with this idea for some time now. To be honest, I love distance running and running outside, but haven't ever ran 13.1 miles at one time...EVER. My runs consist of 4.5 to 5 miles around Lake Zorinsky or at the gym and I'm happy to be done after those distances. I didn't think I would be able to make it much further...I mean it's been a LONG time since I've ran over five miles.

On the flip side...it's only 13.1 miles. People run full marathons all.the.time. (not me, but many people do). My bestie participates in Ironmans...full marathon, full bike ride and full swim (she's crazy, yes, but oh so inspiring). It's not that big of a deal.

But it is to me. It will be the longest distance I've ever ran at one time. And I'm excited to check it off my bucket list (which is actually a list of things I want to do in my lifetime that are jotted down on a notepad I keep in my purse) and complete it within a year after having my first child.

Last week I put together a modified version of a training schedule and told myself if I follow it this week, I'm going to sign up. Well, I did five miles, eight miles and another five miles. There were a couple of days I didn't get to my runs in because it's been a hectic week with the hubby playing long days/nights at a local poker tournament. But I took the plunge and signed up today. There is no turning back now...and I'm really excited to actually do it. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make me smile! Thanks for taking the time to share some love =)